Job Description: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital is seeking highly motivated candidates to join the Department of Structural Biology Job responsibilities include-
- Assume leadership positions in one or more research initiatives to reveal the mechanistic underpinnings of clinically important biological systems, such as ribosome-catalyzed protein synthesis, membrane protein transport/signaling, and host-virus interactions, with a special emphasis on mammalian systems. These efforts benefit from collaborative interactions with St. Jude’s Protein Technology Center, Center for Advanced Genome Engineering, as well as Cryo-EM, NMR, X-Ray and Mass-spectrometry centers.
- Adeptly learn and utilize appropriate assays to answer specific biological questions.
- Utilize the multiple single-molecule fluorescence instruments within the Single-Molecule Imaging Center including analysis of single-molecule data, model building and statistical analysis.
- Regularly present research plans and findings in a clear, concise manner to both general and specialized scientific audiences.
- Regularly prepare high-quality manuscripts for publication.
- Assist in training and mentoring of graduate students, post-docs and visiting scientists.
Eligibility/Minimum Education: The candidate shall have a Ph.D. degree in relevant fields. Experience with quantitative single-molecule biophysical techniques, such as fluorescence imaging/spectroscopy, force spectroscopy, or single-channel electrophysiological recordings is encouraged. The role involves protein and/or nucleic acid biochemistry, including protein expression, purification, and labeling and/or nucleic acid manipulation and purification. Excellent communication skills, in particular the ability to distill, convey and present complex information in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing to people of diverse scientific backgrounds is essential, as is a passion for learning and navigating new research fields.
Sponsorship: This position requires US work authorization. St. Jude will sponsor a visa, if needed, for selected candidates and will also allow candidates on OPT/STEM OPT to be hired for this position.