Professional Development - Success Skills
The Success Skills project started with our 2019 Design Challenge student winners – Adventure Capital.
The idea is simple: curate a list of courses, trainings, and learning opportunities in order to develop skills or competencies that compliment what students learn in their courses.
Limited funding is available for online professional development and success skill building activities, courses and opportunities. While there are several listed below, other opportunities will also be considered. Have an idea for this list? Let us know!
- Coursera: The University has partnered with Coursera to bring its Coursera for Campus offering to our students. Through this you have free access to 3800 courses, 400 specializations, and hundreds of guided projects. To get started just click University of Rochester’s Coursera for Campus link, sign up with your University email address (or login if you already have an account with this address), and you’ll be taken in to browse and register for courses! You can select from various collections of topics, or use the “Explore” button at the top to surf content.
- LinkedIn Learning: LinkedIn Learning is rapidly stepping in as an up-skilling and re-skilling platform. There is a free first-month trial, so be strategic about when you’ll have time to complete some of the trainings!
- Tableau: free “getting started” courses with additional certification opportunities
- Project Management Institute (PMI): 10+ Hours of Project Management Courses. Includes various resources, most notably, free online courses. A subscription normally costs $129 per year.
- Salesforce Training: With over 150,000 organizations using Salesforce today, it is a great idea to familizarize yourself with the platform. Trailhead by Salesforce is the fun way to learn in-demand skills and gain resume-worthy credentials. Trailhead also provides mentorship opportunities and can help you identify different career paths based on your interests!
Engineering, Applied Sciences & Emerging Technologies
- Open P-TECH: Students can take free online classes in things like block chain, design thinking, and AI as well as offers badging in industry-leading technologies that can be added to their LinkedIn account.
- Kaggle: Grow your data science skills, manipulate data sets, compete in competitions, explore and run machine learning code, and complete mini-courses.
- Microsoft:Free Azure Training & Certification. Includes full-day webinars to learn Microsoft Azure basics as well as a voucher for a certification exam. The certification normally costs $100.
- IBM: 100+ Free IBM Training Courses. Includes courses about IBM’s Cloud and Watson platforms, and professional development in general.
- Oracle: Free Oracle Cloud and Databases Training. Offers 50+ hours worth of educational material for Oracle’s cloud infrastructure and autonomous databases.
- Product School: 10+ Hours of Free Product Management Courses. Includes a course on digital products and another on career development. These normally cost $2000 and $1000 respectively.
Consulting & Finance
- Bloomberg Market Concepts (BMC): Certification – Register for a learner account through Bloomberg’s website using UofR school e-mail address. (A pay screen may appear, but the amount will be $0 if you used your school email). Once prompted, input the University of Rochester class code: WZFG4PXDL9
- Corporate Finance Institute: Self-Study 1-year subscription ($497) includes, Financial Modeling & Valuation Analyst (FMVA)® certification program, Commercial Banking & Credit Analyst (CBCA)™ certification program, Capital Markets & Securities Analyst (CMSA)® certification program, Business Intelligence & Data Analyst (BIDA)™ certification program, and more
- Wall Street Prep: Basic – $199,Premium – $499, as well as many other industry specific options
- YouExec: Instantly access 10,000+ presentation slides, business book audio summaries, spreadsheet models, and create a fully animated resume website.
Marketing & Creative
- Skillshare.com: Current students can apply for 50% of a subscription for courses in areas like graphic design, UX/UI, marketing and social media
- Hubspot Academy: Content Marketing Certification Course
- LinkedIn Learning: Google Adwords Essential Training
- Skillshare: Graphic Design Master Class (apply for a scholarship for current students)
Law & Social Good
- Forham University: Pre-Law Institute non-credit version